Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Boat House

The Dinner

This is a little restaurant in the Taman Tun area (near the busy Maybank area) which serves a pretty wide range of Western and Asian food:
The Boathouse Interior

One thing I find really cute about this place is that you can draw on the tables to keep yourself amused while waiting for your food. They provide some non-toxic crayons and let you go wild on the white "mahjong paper" table covers. Here's my art piece:
My Work Of Art

Nice ah?
:)

Anyway, onwards to the food. For the starters, we tried the Sauted Mushrooms, Beef with Enoki Mushrooms and the Stuffed Mushrooms:


Top to Bottom: The Beef with Enoki Mushrooms, Stuffed Mushrooms and Sauted Mushrooms

The Sauted Mushrooms were not that great.
It was a mix of button, shiitake and enoki mushrooms, totally drowned in a pungeant butter sauce that I found simply overpowering.

The Stuffed Mushrooms were better - a few Porcini mushrooms filled with breadcrumbs as well as a bit of cheese and herbs. It was fragrant and the serving was not too big, so you don't have to worry about spoiling your dinner.

I think the best of the three was definately the Beef with Enoki Mushrooms roll. It was a nice textural package - tender beef on the outside and the "crunchy" mushrooms inside with what tasted like a teriyaki sauce.

The mains we had the Fish and Chips, Lamb Steak with Basil Sauce and Lamb Chops:

Clockwise from top: The Lamb Steak with Basil Sauce, Lamb Chops and Fish & Chips

The Fish and Chips is the specialty here, prepared in the classic English beer batter (Hmmm, technically this may not be "Halal" in the strictest sense) and is served with a healthy serving of chips and coleslaw on the side... I really like it - the fish was tender and the batter was light and crispy. When I added some vinegar (which you can ask for), it became simply divine.

Both lamb dishes were rather forgettable. The meat was quite tender and there wasn't any weird "lamb-y" taste but the sauce for both dishes were a tad too sweet, which didn't compliment the lamb very well.

To end the night, we added the Tiramisu, Chocolate Fondue with Strawberries and the Apple Fritters with Vanilla Ice Cream into our bulging bellies:

Clockwise from top: The Tiramisu, Apple Fritters and Chocolate Fondue

The Chocolate Fondue, served with fresh strawberries and some marshmellows, was normal. It's not really a proper fondue by definition, really... just some melted chocolate in a nice glass. It also wasn't as chocolatey as I would have liked but it was an enjoyable simple dessert.

The Tiramisu and the Apple Fritters with Vanilla Ice Cream were also ok.
They were in no way the best I've tasted but definately not a bad way to end the night.
:)

(Note: I've heard that the Asian dishes here, although reasonably priced, are not that great. I will verify this the next time I go there but I'll just put this down as a word of warning....)

So, it's: Good variety of Western and Asian dishes, nice fish and chips, reasonable prices, fun environment BUT hits and misses on the menu


Restaurant Review
Summary Sheet:

The Boathouse @ TTDI

Taste: 6
Ambience : 6
Service : 7
Price** : RM45/++ per person
Parking: OK (Weekday afternoons are crazy though)

** Approximation - 3 course meal, excluding drinks
Telephone No.: 03-7727 4426
Opening Hours:
Mon to Fri - 11am to 3pm, 6pm to 12am
Sat - 12pm to 4pm, 6pm to 1am
(closed on Sundays)

NO PORK SERVED




TAGS: , , , , , , , , , ,

16 comments:

  1. u sure know how to enjoy life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. could u tell me where in ttdi? near the pizza hut side/ Secret recipe side/ or the Penang village side? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa j, da mushrooms really making me hungry!!! da fish & chips really looks pretty good and da dessert, so mouthwatering!!!! muz go try ady....:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. to wuching:
    I have a fun but fattening hobby - trying out new food/ new restaurants....
    :)

    It is rather painful for the wallet too - but I guess once a week is still ok.

    to tihtahpah:
    It's in the row with Penang Village - the side facing the houses/ main road.
    (ie. If you are standing facing Penang Village, it's in the middle of the row of shop lots on the right hand side)

    to meiyen:
    Haha.
    Yeah - the fish&chips is nice...
    .. but better not to have your hope too high for the mushrooms.
    They are only ok....
    (Go and try! Then review it and I can see what you think of the place)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there,

    This pretty much has pictures and everything: http://www.aatravel.co.nz/101-must-dos-for-kiwis/gallery.php

    Click on the picture and you will get descriptions etc.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. err.. u went there again recently? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. to soo jin:
    Pretty recently.
    :)

    I've been there twice so far.
    .. but I was really silly - I misplaced the business card before I got to update the phone number into my post.
    *sigh*
    Silly me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. to blingity:
    Thanks!
    You've been a great help.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. to babe_kl:
    You really think so?
    *blush*
    Thanks!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Something is telling me that u have quite a thin for sauted mushies - seems to be a bit of a staple entre for you!

    In Aus, I used to jusdge a breakfast cafe by its Eggs Benedict - a place might do everything else well, but if the EB aint good, forget it! Is that the same with you and the 'shrooms?

    By the way, your art work IS fantastic - what a talent?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always see this place but didn't know it served Western food. Thxs for the tip - will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. to DonkeyBlog:
    Haha...
    Yeah, what I can say? - Everyone has prefered dishes when eating out.
    For me (at Western reataurants): it's mushrooms, steak, lamb shank and chocolate desserts.

    Re: My art.
    I am a chocoholic of many talents!
    :)

    to boo_licious:
    I hope you like it - the fish and chips are good!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. how long has this restaurant been in ttdi? no other branches ah?

    ReplyDelete
  14. to hunggery:
    It's definately been open for a couple of years already (about 4 years maybe?) but not sure exactly...
    ... and as far as I know this is the only outlet they have so far.
    (Hey, I'll double check the next time I go back there to eat and if I find out there are more outlets, I'll post it up here la)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings,
    Thorough
    design:) Found this here on chocoholicmemoirs.blogspot.com [url=http://easyrvoutdoors.com]RVs[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and feedback. :)